Ashwagandha the miracle Himalayan herb: the most deserving wellness trend
Aug 15, 2023
Ashwagandha is an evergreen shrub that grows in India, the middle east, and some parts of Africa. Ashwagandha plant or mainly the root powder of the shrub has been used for centuries in traditional Indian medicines. Ashwagandha word comes from Sanskrit which means root that has a strong horse-like odor. It also implies that Ashwagandha helps to increase strength and stamina.
Ashwagandha is a plant-based adaptogen that supports your body’s physiological response to stress and has been associated with maintaining lower stress levels and having better sleep. It also controls cortisol levels and enhances focus and mental stamina.
There are various other benefits of Ashwagandha that have made it so popular and loved among the wellness community.
- Reduces Anxiety: Ashwagandha is a plant-based adaptogen that supports your immunity and helps your body control stress levels. Consuming 1000 mg of ashwagandha extract daily helps to reduce anxiety.
- Boost cognitive ability: Consuming ashwagandha regularly helps you to have better memory and attention span. It also helps people with bipolar disease to have better memory. Ashwagandha helps to boost your cognitive ability.
- Helps to exercise better: Ashwagandha has positive effects on physical performance, strength, stamina, and muscle recovery. It helps you to get rid of fatigue and improve muscle strength. It helps you recover faster from muscle soreness post-workout.
- Improves Sleep Quality: Consuming ashwagandha before sleeping helps to have better sleep. People who suffer from insomnia are largely benefited by ashwagandha. It helps you fall asleep faster, have longer sleep time, and have a better quality of sleep.
- Controls blood sugar levels: Ashwagandha helps to lower blood sugar levels. Certain components in ashwagandha like withaferin have antidiabetic properties that stimulate the cells to absorb glucose from the bloodstream. Ashwagandha also has effects on insulin secretion and helps to maintain the glucose levels in the bloodstream.
- Helps to reduce inflammation: The compounds that are present in ashwagandha help to reduce inflammation. The withaferin component helps to reduce the inflammation protein in the body and reduce inflammation of the body.
- Improves Arthritis symptoms: Ashwagandha helps to improve rheumatoid arthritis condition. It helps to improve bone health and reduce inflammation in the body. Ashwagandha helps to cure arthritis and neurological disorders.
Ashwagandha plant is used widely in traditional medication. Mostly the root of ashwagandha and the root and leaves combination are used commercially.
Now ashwagandha capsules and topical moisturizing creams are also available in the market. Ashwagandha can be taken with a sweetener like honey to get rid of the bitterness. It can be consumed at any time of the day. Typically, 30mg to 1000mg can be consumed daily.
Ashwagandha is mainly consumed in powder form. You can consume it by mixing it with ghee, honey, water, or any kind of milk. It is recommended to consume ashwagandha powder in the morning for better results. One should avoid consuming ashwagandha empty stomach.
Ashwagandha is a revered medicinal herb that can be beneficial to people of all ages. In ancient times Ayurveda has been using ashwagandha to treat different kinds of illness. From improving sleep quality to increasing mental focus and memory to increasing muscle power and stamina to reducing anxiety and stress, ashwagandha can cure lots of physical and neurological alignments. It has almost no side effects if taken in moderate amounts daily. Due to its numerous benefits, ashwagandha has become one of the most loved herbs in the wellness community.
Note: Pregnant women and lactating mothers, people who have had recent surgeries and have thyroid issues are recommended not to consume ashwagandha without the approval of their medical practitioners (largely due to their consumption of other active ingredients in their prescriptions.)